Completing your studies is an enthusiastic phase of your life but at the end most students have to present a dissertation or an essay to prove the actual learning they have done. Often students get confused about the content and they dread writing a dissertation. The best way to work these out is through making the process of writing the dissertation simplistic.
A dissertation will be a long essay that you have to submit at the end of your Undergraduate study or your PhD module. The paper is based on a single topic and you fill it with relevant research that you have done on the topic. A student has to extensively dive into learning the topic to present a well written dissertation.
Points to remember while writing a dissertation or Thesis:
- The dissertation proposal that you should write should be relevant to the level you can study and work on the dissertation. Never go for something that is farfetched and very hard to tackle. Choose an interesting topic that interest you and work on it. Try some simplistic questions that wouldn’t be very difficult to analyse in the short period of time.
- As you ponder on writing the dissertation, make sure you have a schedule planned. A schedule will help you to research your topic in an enhanced way. You have to dedicate crucial time to your research work and it should be done every day. Make a timeline for the research work that you plan on doing and you can move along it. If you are having a hard time on a question then move on to the next one and mark the hard question for further research.
- It is very popular to quote Wikipedia as a source of your knowledge, but you should always look everywhere for the topics. It can be an academic resource site or your college library. Just remember to look through various sources so that you have a conclusive answer to the questions. Remember to organise your research work so that it doesn’t get lost or out of order for you when you need it.
- When you start writing the actual dissertation makes sure that you maintain the steps that are crucial in writing it. You should make an outline for the dissertation that you are going to present.
This is the basic outline that you may follow:
Introduction: This introduces the main point of your dissertation and also gives the assumptions that you have made.
Literature Review: Here you have to review the process of research you have adopted and your acknowledgements.
Methodology: As a writer of the dissertation you have to give the process of your researches, the way you found resources, you may write about your data, sample or other things related to research.
Findings: Here you will discuss the questions you enquired and the answers you have found based on them. This is the crucial part of your dissertation.
Conclusions: Give a brief overview of your dissertation and also talk about the importance of your dissertation in the academic field you belong to.
Bibliography: Site the sources you have used while researching on the topic.
Prepare a draft of your dissertation and show it to your friends and teacher to have it judged to help you do any necessary changes. Make sure to read the dissertation out when you are writing it and do the necessary edits and proofreading by going through it several times. If you think some questions aren’t explained very well try to look at different sources and add more points.
Tips on finishing the dissertation or thesis:
- Try to write the introduction after you finish the other parts as it will be easier.
- Take small breaks while writing the dissertation and have adequate sleep and water.
- Whenever you research take your own notes so that you are aware of the topic.
- Do not end on writing the dissertation once, go over it thoroughly to avoid any mistakes.
Keep yourself calm and cool while writing it, do not write the dissertation on the very end, work on your topic from the very day you have given the dissertation proposal. This will help you have a good dissertation and your teachers will definitely be happy about it.